Monday, January 4, 2010

DAY 2 IN HAITI - First day of the ESL program


Kathy began The Red Thread's ESL program at Mountain Top Ministries today, working with approximately 40 students ranging in age from 2 - 10 years old. Students practiced the basics, such as "My name is ___", "What's your name?" an d learned the names of common objects from their own environment including chair, desk, shirt, jacket, cap, dress, shoe, boy, and girl. Each child had the opportunity to practice the names of the items out loud for their classmates, following which they went to another room to play games with all instructions given in English.

Willem and Beth's sons, Stephen (13) and David (9) served as the camera crew while Kathy taught the class. They also had the fun of passing out candy at the end of class, a rare treat for these little ones. According to Kathy "What a wild group when they saw the candy!"

(Author's note: Kathy's little comment about the children's reaction to the candy impressed on me how I take so many things for granted in my own life. I can't remember the last time I got "wild" over something so simple. It reminded me of how little these children have and how abundant my own life is. We are so blessed to work with these children. While we are giving them something, we get so much in return! I look forward to sharing these stories with you from my own perspective after my upcoming trip to Haiti Jan 30 - Feb 5.)

No comments: