Tuesday, May 21, 2013

JACOB'S FUND: From a Jacob's Fund mom

Cameron and Landon, Jacob's Fund kids
Only a week ago we honored our mothers on Mother’s Day. Since Jacob’s Fund’s work not only affects the children receiving therapy, but also their entire families, we thought you’d like to from a Jacob’s Fund mom.

Cameron and Landon received riderships from Jacob’s Fund earlier this year so they could continue their hippotherapy at McKenna Farms. Here’s what their mother, Melissa, has to say about their progress:

Cameron is not the same boy he was last year. His speech defect was downgraded from severe to mild in all areas!

What a joy it is to be able to have a conversation with my son! I have gotten to know him on a much deeper level since his therapy began. Now he can tell me “I like that” or “I don’t like that.” He no longer screams bloody murder when we brush his teeth or hair or try to put lotion on him. He does these things on his own!

At the beginning of August 2012 he wouldn’t even attempt to play with other children. If you could only see him now! I have to make Cameron leave when he is interacting with other kids. We rejoice over the tiniest victories because each one demonstrates the progress he is making.

Landon has also made great strides. He can communicate basic needs now. His teacher even videotaped him singing with his class the other day. We recently took him back to a developmental pediatrician who prescribed new medication for him. Within a short time he was playing with toys again for the first time in a week. Small victories!

I thank God for lighting my path last year. At a friend’s barb-b-que I met Shelly who told me of McKenna Farms and hippotherapy. I met Jesse, director of the farm, who introduced me to Jacob’s Fund. Through the help of all these angels, we are getting to see our real sons shine through.

Please continue to pray for our family. Every day is a new journey and we take leaps of faith along... but I know God will supply our needs. He has thus far. Thank you so much for the opportunities Jacob’s Fund has given my children, for helping to restore a broken family who is enjoying getting to know their very special sons.

We will continue to keep you updated on the twins’ progress. Your support continues to help make this possible through either one-time or continuing gifts.

No comments: